YMCA History & Misson
The Y is a powerful association of men, women and children from all walks of life joined together by a shared passion: to strengthen the foundations of community. With a focus on Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility; the Y nurtures the potential of every youth and teen, improves the nation's health and well-being and provides opportunities to give back and support neighbors.
To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
Notable moments in our history:
The YMCA was founded in London England by George Williams.
- A group of altruistic volunteers founded the Oahe YMCA in Pierre. The humble beginnings started in the Masonic Temple and the "Little Church" located next to the State Theater. Out of this "storefront operation" support grew as well as the programs.
- The original building was opened on Church St. and quickly outgrown by the early 1990's.
- New additional added on which included the gym, track, weight room, class rooms and the cardio area.
- The Pierre Aquatic Center was added to the YMCA.
- Phase I Expansion completed which included a new 2nd aerobics studio, new child watch and playground along with new Cybex strength room.
Click here for details on the combined efforts of all the South Dakota YMCA's: YMCA Advocacy Brochure
To find out more about the YMCA take a look at the links below. You may be surprised by what you find!
For More Information on the YMCA Movement go to www.ymca.net..